Saving an Antique Cabin
- For years I have driven by a charming, rustic old cabin on Yerry Hill Road. It reminded
me of the cabin in which I had spent my summers when I was a child; which always seemed
like my REAL home, and was how I got to Woodstock twenty five years ago. Suddenly last
summer there appeared a brand new house looming right behind the cabin.
"Those poor people! "
- I pointed it out to Andrew, my partner and also a cabin buff.
We currently own six cabins and our home, which feels like one. He cited setback
requirements and determined that it must be the owners who were building the house.
So one Sunday morning we stopped by and found the owner at home. Yes, it was hers.
It was almost two hundred years old and she was sick about tearing it down, but she
was looking forward to moving to Woodstock and needed a house she could live in year
round. She was thrilled when we offered to move it instead.
- At that point we weren't even sure where to put it, but shortly thereafter we went to contract to buy twenty
five acres in Saugerties with a 1 1/2 acre lake which we had been leasing for the
last few years, another story. . .
- So we're committed, in the process of moving it,
covering and securing it until next spring when we can clear a spot by the lake and
restore it. The move and restoration process will be reported and documented with photos on
this site as it happens.
Home | Table of Contents | Top of Page | Contact Us
Teran Realty · 74 Mill Hill Road · Woodstock, NY 12498
(845) 679-3333 · 1-800-57-TERAN